Legume and Rice Bake - GF, Vegan
1 cup of dahl or yellow split peas
1 cup of basmati rice
2 teaspoons of cumin seed
1 tablespoon of coriander seed
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
1 tablespoon of fresh ginger chopped finely
1 tablespoon of fresh chilli
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
2 celery sticks chopped finely
2 zucchinis chopped
2 cups of hot water
Brazil nuts or almonds chopped to serve
Coriander leaves to serve
Pinch of himalyan salt
Serve with greek yogurt (optional)
- Rinse the dahl and rice, then soak in enough water to cover them for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Dry roast the cumin and coriander seed in a saucepan until you smell the aroma and see the seeds slightly darken.
- Remove the seeds from the pan and grind with a mortar and pestle.
- Add oil to the pan and add mustard seeds and fry for only a few minutes until they begin to pop and remove from heat. Do not forget to add the love!
- Add the ginger and chilli and return to the heat for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetables - celery, zucchini and carrots. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add drained dahl and rice with enough boiling water to cover the dish.
- Keep on medium heat for 10 minutes, stir and let simmer for 35 minutes.
- Serve with chopped nuts, coriander and yoghurt. Sprinkle of salt.