Pyroluria is a genetic condition that effects about 11 % of the population.It is called Pyroluria because it is when a person is producing excess product of hemoglobin synthesis called hydroxyhemoppyrrolin-2-one (OHHPL). If this happens the substance binds to Zinc and B6 causing severe defiencies in these nutrients.
It is diagnosed by the presence of Kryptopyrroles in urine.
People with this genetic condition may have all sorts of nervous system, immune, cognitive and digestive disorders to name just a few. Some people have mild symptoms and some severe. People with this conditon are worse under stress. There is more known about this now but still some practitioners do not think to have it tested. Please ask one of our practioners if you would like to be tested for this. It is amazing how much better you can feel when nutritionally this is managed.
The most common symptom of Pyroluria is that they are more prone to depression. People can come in to the clinic with depression but once the Pyroluria is treated the depression lifts. 70% of depressed people are found to have pyroluria. When you think how many people could be helped purely with nutrients surely this could reduce the amount of antidepresssants prescribed and taken.
Some other presentations of Pyroluria are:
- autism 50%
- tourettes syndrome
- bipolar disorder
- immune problems,
- chronic acne,
- alcoholism 40%
- sensitive to stress
- ADHD/ ADD 30%
- schizophrenia 70%
The good news is that with B6 (especially the activated B6) and liquid zinc symptoms can improve dramatically. Some pyroluria clients also respond well to some fish oils.
The bad news is that because it is genetic it is a lifetime treatment and management.
Consequently if you have more than 15 of the symptoms listed below it would be well worth while getting the urine test for Pyroluria. Just ask your practitioner and discuss appropriate dosages for you individually.
1. Depression and nervous exhaustion
2. Frequent colds and coughs
3. Little or no dream recall
4. Tendency for anemia
5. History of mental ilness or alcoholism
7. Prone to acne, eczema or psoriasis
8. Frequently are fatigued
9. Stretch marks
10 Very uncomfortable with strangers
11. A loner or prefer small groups of people
12. Morning Nausea
13. Poor appetite in the morning
14 Tendency to burn easily in the sun
15. No ability to cope in stress
16. Argumentative and perhaps explosive tempers
17. Sensitive to bright light
18. Reading difficulty ( eg Dyslexia)
19 White spots on finger nails
20. Dramatic tendencies
21. Late puberty
22. Dry skin
24. Tendency to over react to tranquilizers, alcohol or other drugs.
25. Family history of alcoholism or mental ilness.
26.Difficulty remembering past events or people
27. Poor sense of smell or taste
28. Belong to an all girl family with looks similar to sisters
29. Abnormal fat distribution
30. Much higher capacity mentally at night than mornings.
31. New situations or change in routine stressful
32. Hypersensitive to loud noises
33. Easily upset by criticism
34. " Fruity " breath and/ or unpleasant body odour
To discover pyroluria can make a world of difference to you or your families health.
Please do not heistate to talk about this with your practitioner.