Firstly there was aerobics but now there is Neurobics – These are the unique brain exercises based on neuroscience to stimulate brain nutrients and help the brain cells to grow. It is all part of the reversing of cognitive decline. The key is to use all of our five senses in unexpected ways.
This is just some sample ideas based on a book by Lawrence C Katz called “Keep Your Brain Alive” - as you can see the book has 83 exercises for helping memory and for mental fitness.
The trick is to not to use the same ones and vary it up. Remember also to keep up the brain games and crosswords, reading, musical instruments, languages, socialization, exercise as these all exercise the brain circuits in different ways.
NEUROTIC BRAIN EXERCISES
- New Wake up routines – instead of smelling brewed coffee – smell an aromatherapy like vanilla or rosemary or clove
- Shower safely and carefully with your eyes closed
- Lay out your clothes the night before and get dressed with your eyes closed.
- Teeth Brushing – brush your teeth with your non dominant hand
- Vary your routine. Eg Have breakfast then get dressed. Or have breakfast then walk the dog. wake up to sesame street music on your clock alarm or a childhood song you remember. Walk the dog on a different route
- Bath aroma- add an aroma to your bath to stimulate your sense of smell
- Read a book out loud to your partner and then get them to read it to you Concentration thru listening and reading out loud stimulates the brain
- Sex- the ultimate neurobic exercise. Use things that help the senses- silk, smells, music all to help stimulate the senses to get a full experience
- Commute to work on a different route – just for fun. If you go on the bus swap to a different area of the bus, if you always sit in the front sit in the back. If you always ride with the windows closed drive with them open
- Wear mittens to work at odd times to trick your senses
- Put you watch on you other hand
- Put your watch on your other wrist
- At work : do things out of order where possible, rearrange where you place things on the desk, put framed photos upside down occasionally, move the waste basket location
- Learn Baille
- Collect small objects in pairs e.g. earrings, bullet clips , paper clips, tea bags, rubbers and then with your ears shut try and put them in pairs just by touch
- Play in the day CDs of ocean or forest sounds or waterfalls then alternate it with classical music
- Eat your lunch with the wrong hand
- If you always sit in the same seat at the family dinner table swap spots and eat from a different perspective
- Rekindle childhood favourite foods and see if you still like them
- Have an indoor picnic for fun
- Go camping - go bush
- Get involved with a community project
- Do a creative workshop or cooking classes
- Exercise daily but outside in the fresh air. Exercising outdoors gives you an edge brain wise compared to a tread mill inside
- Sail a model boat or a remote control car
- Feed the ducks or bird watch
- Start a new hobby
- Build a model airplane or a car or some lego
- Grow a garden and so grow your brain.
Routines can be brain deadening so remember to spice things up and sometimes loose the routine
It was long thought that the brain cells did not regenerate but it has been found now that they can.
Nerve cells need to keep communicating to stay healthy and regenerate.