Food Choices And Joints
Years ago a client came to the clinic with crippling pain in his joints. You could say he liked a beer or two. He was not keen to change his diet but was ok to take supplements. However his joints did not improve.
We discussed a trial of 6 weeks without alcohol and at the end of the 6 weeks he was no longer in ANY pain.
When people leave my room, to get the best results, the dietery changes can make such a difference to many ailments. Hence here is more information on food / inflammation with specific relevence to joint inflammation.
Arthritic conditions fall into two categories.
- Osteoarthritis which is the degenerative joints in our body that have over the years been damaged or over used. You see this with sports people, knitters, past injuries, dancers, yoga teachers etc However this inflammation can be kept at bay and nutrients and homeopathics can help ease pain. The more acid or toxins in the body the worse the pain is.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune condition. This can be triggered by allergies, virus'and toxins. I also se flare ups with emotional/ psycological stress
Both of these conditions can be improved with biochemical changes and the elimination of aggravating foods . With electrodermal testing your foods can be tested individually but i thought it would be helpful to list the most common foods that can effect your joints in a negative way.
For Healthy Joints Avoid:
- Refined Cereals
- Dry Roasted nuts
- Refined Flour - Gluten is especailly inflammatory
- Caffeinated Tea
- Deadly night shade foods - Tomato, Potato, Capsicum, Eggplant, Pepper
- Red Meat especially if over cooked
- Dairy foods
- Soft Drinks
- Dried Fruit
- Caffeine- Cocoa, Milo, Chocolate, Coffee
Foods to avoid if high Uric Acid or Gout
- Dried foods
- Roasted nuts
- Refined grains
Beneficial actions for healthier joints:
1. Losing weight if you are over weight can take a tremendous strain off the joints. Particularly you see this in knees. It is said that if you loss 11 pound you can decrease your tendency for osteoarthritis in your knees by 50 percent.
2. Decreasing the foods mentioned above can decrease inflammation and this reduces PAIN
3.Eating better can increase the positive nutrients and healing properties in your joints.
4. The earlier you start the better - before permanent damage is done to your joints.
5. Good Quality Filtered water and even Alkaline water can help the joints
6. Good quality oils - Fish oils, Krill oil are excellent for joints
7. Treatments -With Rheumatoid arthritis triggers of a bacterial, parasitical or viral nature need to be treated as quickly as possible. It may seem strange that infections in the body can set off such an immune reaction that the body works too hard and this is called an autoimmune response. So treatments need to kepp the infections away but settle the over active immune responses.
8. Bring the inflammation down with remedies. The specific ones needed can be assessed with the electrodermal testing.